All Quiet on the Tiny Front

Home Forums Hobby Works in Progress All Quiet on the Tiny Front

This topic contains 18 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Keith Davis Keith Davis 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Oddball
    Oddball
    Participant

While waiting on an airplane to get to our gate a few weeks ago, I was thinking about some sort of strategy-simulator for AQOTMF. I then thought to myself, “Man, wouldn’t it be great to be able to play AQOTMF on the go?” I then thought of some type of tiny AQOTMF, but instead of miniatures, you would play using small paper prints of the model (2-D, of course). The idea then evolved in a game with rules, mechanics, and playable tokens. I present to you: ALL QUIET ON THE TINY FRONT. Designed for the traveling general (or Martian commander), this mini-game (literally) is simple, fun, and most importantly, occupies time. It can be played either solo or with another human or Martian. As of right now, I have developed the sheet used to cut out the prints. It is basically the Kickstarter reward page with things added and taken away. To obtain the paper models used for the mini-game, you must print out the sheet, cut out the images, then glue (or tape) to pieces of cardboard to form a stand. I will post pictures as soon as they become available. The rules are still in development, but I have a good plan of what they will be. Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions, and feel free to comment.

wakenney
    wakenney
    Participant

I like the idea. In fact, I have tried the idea!

There are inexpensive ships that you can buy for WWI naval scenarios. In an attempt to recreate the one of the iconic scenes from the original book, I bought the ships and printed Assault Tripods on washers (1″ diameter). The rules did not scale well, the ships are too strong. But idea of tiny tripods worked well.

Wouldn’t be too tough to put together other units on small bases.

Oddball
    Oddball
    Participant

That’s cool! Very ingenious! How did you print the tripods onto the base?

Oddball
    Oddball
    Participant

Update: Due to “issues” with my printer,

*cough cough*

I cannot properly print out the images used for the models. Until I can get that fixed, I’ll have to work on the rules instead. Stay tuned for more updates.

Oddball
    Oddball
    Participant

And for some reason I can’t post any images. Brilliant.

wakenney
    wakenney
    Participant

I took a photo of the Tripod from above, edited out everything but the Tripod, dropped into a doc and printed them on shipping labels. The hardest part was cutting them out. 1″ washers as bases and I was ready to go.

I may have to try my hand at some other units and see if the Tiny Front idea works for me. I have 40mm metal bases that I will never use. Could become US Infantry…

I found that the rules did not scale well to naval combat. I wonder how to simplify them for larger scale (or smaller based on PoV) combat so that it doesn’t bog down. The advantage to the smaller scale, beyond travel, would be to put a lot more forces on the field. Testing is in order!

Oddball
    Oddball
    Participant

Good luck with the testing! Assuming that your games are based more or less on the Tunderchild’s stand, maybe a way would be to nerf the ships, like have the guns only rotate to a maximum degree, have the guns to reload, overheat, etc. This is all of course assuming that you have not used these as rules or features. You could also maybe buff up the tripods by giving them black dust, that could kill of any crew on deck that are trying to take rifle shots at the Martians. You could also use the Martian’s reaper tentacles to go in for a melee attack and rip off a gun turret straight from the ship. These are just a few ideas, and there are probably many more.

Oddball
    Oddball
    Participant
    Oddball
    Oddball
    Participant

Hah! I finally figured out how to post images! ALOO!

Oddball
    Oddball
    Participant

Okay, so this is the sheet you print out to obtain the models. Just print out and cut on the black lines.

Oddball
    Oddball
    Participant

I finished cutting out the models! I’ll start putting them on bases tomorrow.

Never mind the creepy eyes.

Keith Davis
    Keith Davis
    Participant

I made paper counters for a rules set called “Fist full of Tripods” a few years back. I will post photos as soon as I figure out how on the forum. So far I have met with failure when trying to upload images. I love work you have put into your mini game. Bravo.

Keith Davis
    Keith Davis
    Participant

I glued printed images to matte board for my counters. I really liked the sturdy results.

Oddball
    Oddball
    Participant

“Fist full of tripods” sounds interesting! Also, thanks for the support. 😀 As of now, I’m trying to figure out which type of glue to use. Plastic glue seeps through the paper, and tape is going to make the image blurry. I’ll have to try regular glue and see where that goes.

Keith Davis
    Keith Davis
    Participant

I used a spray can adhesive. It was a couple of yeaes ago so I dont remember the brand.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed