Dirt. Cheap.

Home Forums Hobby Painted Terrain Dirt. Cheap.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Richard Leclercq Richard Leclercq 9 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Judge Death
    Judge Death
    Participant

For ground flock, take some coffee grounds after you’ve used them, put the on a glass or ceramic saucer, put it in the microwave and heat it until it’s bone dry, then put it in an airtight container like a small old butter tub.

This stuff looks like rough dirt, is the right color for it, is easy to glue to a base and you can easily paint it with acrylic based paint.

Plus it’s basically free. You probably either use coffee or know someone who does, so acquiring an amount of used coffee grounds for free should be easy. Millions of people throw it in the trash daily.

• This topic was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by Judge Death Judge Death.

atcboss
    Participant

Brilliant!

Judge Death
    Judge Death
    Participant

Thank you! Thank you!

Richard Leclercq
    Richard Leclercq
    Participant

Do the grounds carry the aroma? Have you had any trouble with mold?

Joe
    Joe

Good idea. I guess if you hit it with a sealer it wouldn’t mold?

Judge Death
    Judge Death
    Participant

Years ago when I was doing this with gw figs before I could no longer tolerate their business practices I used this on like 3 gazillion ifgures and never had a problem. The few gw figs I still own aren’t molding afaict.

Richard Leclercq
    Richard Leclercq
    Participant

I live in Florida. The mold gets moldy here. I ask about this a lot.

I have a contact at my church and I can get the grounds, regular and decaf, from our coffee hour. That’s usually a full tin of each.

Have you tried to color it with anything?

Judge Death
    Judge Death
    Participant

Ok some folks are concerned about “mold”. Well, I painted and based this figure over a decade ago. See any mold on the coffee grounds?

The edge of the base does retract a little as the grounds absorb some of the water soluble glue, this is not a problem as it keeps you from breaking the flock off as you handle the base.

Alan Martin
    Participant

I use wood glue and play pit sand

you can apply the glue with a brush because it is washable
    then sift the sand over with a tea strainer until it covers
    at least half way up the model let dry, It sets like concrete

then paint and flock, it also adds a bit of weight to the base

Richard Leclercq
    Richard Leclercq
    Participant

My intent is to create mounds of earth as hasty trenches or gun pits. “Lunettes” were common to provide cover fast. A crescent shaped pile of dirt, oddly hard to sculpt with omething other than dirt.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed