Martian Cylinder

Home Forums Hobby Works in Progress Martian Cylinder

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Morbius Morbius 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Morbius
    Morbius
    Participant

I have yet to finish painting this. Got a lot of work to go on the soil as well as detail on the cylinder.

I like the official version of the cylinder, except the crater just isn’t big enough for my liking. Even my version of the crater is on the small side compared to the description in the original story (the sides were large enough to conceal a lot of the house that the hero and the preacher were hiding in). In fact, the hero needed a rope to get to the bottom of the crater to examine the cylinder.

Craig

Morbius
    Morbius
    Participant

If anyone is interested, the crater is made from mdf (basing), styrofoam, foil and plaster. It’s pretty light. The cylinder is a bit of cut-off pvc pipe with cardboard pasted to the outside, a button in the centre and I cared the grooves into a circular bit of mdf with a scalpel.

I have yet to add some more debris, and of course the first bits of the accursed red weed 🙂
    Craig

Oddball
    Oddball
    Participant

Looks great! You’re right- the only way to make a true martian pit is to saw a whole in your table. Can I see some comparison shots?

Morbius
    Morbius
    Participant

I take it you mean with models next to it, rather than before and after shots of my table with a hole in it 😉

I’ll do those up for up for you in a couple of days 🙂

Craig

Oddball
    Oddball
    Participant

Now that you mention it, I would enjoy seeing some pictures of your table with a hole in it… 😄

Ponduca
    Participant

In that scale the hole should be oblong to show the skid on landing rather than round.

Oddball
    Oddball
    Participant

That depends on how you interpret the cylinder’s landing. Some see it as the cylinder striking the ground like a bullet would strike a man, straight into the ground. Others see it as skidding along the ground until stopping.

Morbius
    Morbius
    Participant

I am holding off repainting this until I get my shipment of sponge to dye red 🙂

After that, pictures to follow.

Craig

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed