Overseer Tripod

Home Forums Hobby Overseer Tripod

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Quendil 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Mok
    Participant

So I bought the Overseer at Gen Con last weekend. An impressive model in scale to be sure. I feel compelled though to offer a word of caution. The casting of the model is average, at best. Mine required considerable clean up. CONSIDERABLE clean up. By which I mean the use of a Dremel tool for cutting and sanding, and lots of green stuff just to fix casting errors and get parts to fit together (specifically the top and bottom halves of the hull).

Despite cleanup and corrections, the bottom half of the hull was cast completely off center from the start in that the front half with the rounded dome is not on the same axis as the back half. So when matching it to the top of the hull I had to decide either to have the front dome in line with the “eye” on the top half, but then the back of the hood off kilter from the top half, or have the front dome pointing in a different direction from the “eye” and have the rest of the body line up. I decided it was better to have the body as a whole line up and live with the distraction of the “eye” and front dome “looking” in different directions.

The legs are also a problem. The top and bottom halves of the molds were not aligned well and there is a rather large lip at the junction. Furthermore, the legs themselves are cast with a noticeable curve. The tripod will come out looking bowlegged when assembled. I hope putting the pieces in hot water will help straighten them out. As for the lip in the casting, cutting, sanding, and putty might fix it, but it is going to be a large pain in the ass to accomplish.

I wish my impressions of the model where better, but an honest critique I hope will be more helpful towards improving quality in later production runs.

Quendil
    Participant

Do you have any pics, I have seen a few and it didn’t look good. The finished versions look good but for the price I would have expected better casting.

Mok
    Participant

You can see in the two angles how off-center the front dome of the bottom half is. In both shots I have the back of each half aligned properly. I also added a shot of the joining edge between the two hull halves. As you can see they don’t match up well at all. That sort of lip is present all the way around. In the last pic I think you can see (with the help of the grid below it) how the leg is not only twisted but bent. The end in my hand to the right is on one of the lines, but notice how far off that line the other end to the left is. All three are like this.

I agree, for the price I would have liked more. I only bought it anyways because they had them on discount at the convention. I don’t think I would have paid full price for it. To his credit, the guy I dealt with threw in a pack of their con exclusive as compensation for my disappointment in the quality of the display model.

P.S. You can probably see my sanding marks in different locations across the pictures. This is to say nothing of what was required on the inside of the hull halves to get them to match together.

Quendil
    Participant

I think I will bodge my own together as can’t afford it anyway. Maybe its too big as the smaller stuff is fine

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed