The Goliath

Home Forums Hobby Works in Progress The Goliath

This topic contains 23 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Morbius Morbius 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Richard Leclercq
    Richard Leclercq
    Participant

The development looks good. I eagerly await a model to buy.

IvanIight
    IvanIight
    Participant

I like the book concept better but I understand that the finished product is not going exactly the same as the art. However on the prototype the turret seems larger than its turret ring. You can also see a gap between the cabin and turret ring foundation meaning that there is room left to expand the turret foundation.

Morbius
    Morbius
    Participant

I am looking forward to seeing the final model. I don’t like how skinny the model looks compared to the concept drawing, and how much smaller. I suspect that like the flame tank trailer, it will come down to an argument about production costs, which I can understand (just don’t ask me to like it 😉 ).

I am not keen on the exposed condensor pipes. Yes, they add a little “bulkiness” to the model without adding a lot of extra material, but that is exposing critical components needlessly – they should be either internal, or under the vehicle. Yes, you can argue that they are covered in asbestos and ceramics or whatever, but they are still needlessly exposed and vulnerable.

Ammunition storage appears to be directly over the coal-fired boilers. This means the turret is too far back on the model. Additionally, even if the ammunition wasn’t placed at extra risk in case the boilers got hit, the turret would be a mobile oven, everytime the vehicle had the turret facing forwards.

Noting how thin the turret ring is, how does the Goliath reload? It looks like it will require a very, very large crane as there’s unlikely to be enough room to turn the motorised turret as feed ammunition up to the auto loader through the hull of the vehicle.

Noting the size of the barrel and comparing it to real tanks, there doesn’t appear to be enough room to house a mechanism to raise and lower the barrel, especially noting the position of the manhole at the top of the vehicle, limiting the size, and the space under the barrel and the top of the turret. There’s not a lot of room for elevating or lowering the barrel, feeding ammunition to the breech and powering the mechanisms via steam.

I apologise for any offense this feedback causes, but felt it best to be honest about my thoughts on this, rather than condoning what I think is not as good as what I believe you guys can do.

Regards,
    Craig

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Morbius Morbius.
    IvanIight
    IvanIight
    Participant

The concept art from the book does get rid of some of the problems you stated in your reply Morbius.I will currently be talking about the book concept art for the Goliath to limit confusion.

From the looks of things the Goliath is all about its 12 inch gun. Very little was given into consideration of anything else other than to use that gun. So the width of the chassis long and wide enough to fire the gun left right forward back without flipping the vehicle. By doing this the vehicle is not very fast and it is no dreadnought in armor either.

While in the concept art we don’t get much on the over-all width of the vehicle we do see the exact width of the turret ring compared to the turret. This seems correctly proportioned.

Tenchuu
    Tenchuu
    Participant

If the point of the vehicle is to fire that gun in any direction, a narrow chassis is the last thing it wants. Firing to either side will cause it to tip. As it looks now, it fires forward or back, and that’s it.

Oddball
    Oddball
    Participant

From what I can gather, the game lore states the gun to be 18″. I’ll fact check that here in a few minutes.

Perhaps the danger of side recoil has been already solved in the form of the Mark IV monitor. It’s barrel extends slightly further out from the turret of the tank as to prevent recoil. The naval gun might be able to do the same thing.

Oddball
    Oddball
    Participant

Turns out, the gun is 12″.

I looked in the rulebook, and found the solution to the recoil issue: “The huge 12-inch gun is a marvel of modern design. It is far lighter than earlier naval guns and features an advanced shock-absorbing oelio-pneumatic system that makes it possible for the Goliath to shoot without being pushed over by the recoil.”

IvanIight
    IvanIight
    Participant

At least The tires would be nice to paint and the cab is a nice sculpt.

Morbius
    Morbius
    Participant

At least The tires would be nice to paint and the cab is a nice sculpt.

Ivaniight,

LOL!
    It does sound like I am complaining about nearly every aspect of the vehicle. I hope though that the honest feedback to the guys doing this is helpful, rather than demoralizing. Bringing the game back is an awesome feat in itself, and making miniatures that whet the appetites of gamers is key to their success. I wish them nothing but the best, and if I have the cash, will be looking at ordering one of these, regardless of my view on the “design flaws”.

Regards,

Craig

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed